It’s Monday at 5 p.m. and, in between homework and dinner prep, you just found out that your home has a sewer backup. Even though it’s messy and can be highly hazardous if mishandled, don’t fret! Our team of highly trained professionals is available 24/7 to help you mitigate the risks associated with raw sewage.
DYK? Raw sewage is classified as a Category 3 contamination (the highest level) and can transmit disease-causing biohazards including viruses, bacteria, and germs. In fact, the EPA recommends that professional clean-up and decontamination should be utilized for most sewage situations.
Lucky for you, our certified water damage remediation professionals have the training, experience and specialized equipment to restore your home to a safe, healthy state after a sewer backup. Meanwhile, here’s what you should do in the immediate aftermath:
- Don’t go into a wet area of the house if sewage has contacted electrical outlets or other electrical sources until power has been shut off.
- Keep all kids and pets out of the immediate area of the house affected by the backup.
- If you must enter the affected area, wear protective glasses, gloves, a facemask, and rubber boots.
- Open windows and run fans to ventilate the area with fresh outdoor air.
- Stop utilizing all plumbing that involves the household drain system. Don’t flush toilets. Don’t turn on the water in sinks, showers, or bathtubs. Don’t run the dishwasher or washing machine.
- Don’t attempt DIY efforts to resolve the problem with pour-in chemicals. They are not likely to get deep enough in the drain system to unclog a sewage blockage and the harsh acids utilized will damage pipes and sewer lines.
- After the immediate crisis is resolved, contact a plumber to determine the cause for the blockage in order to prevent a recurrence. Common possible issues include flushing unapproved paper or other materials down a toilet, tree roots invading sewer lines, collapsing sewer pipes, etc.
Although sewage back-ups can be ugly, is available 24/7 to clean up the dirtiest (or, in this case, the most hazardous) of messes so keep calm and call us! for Disinfectant Cleaning Services call us.