Did you know that in 2021, the average cost of residential water damage incidents ranged from $3,000 to $5,000? Those are just conservative estimates; worse than average water damage cases can set you back by even more and could disrupt your household. Rather than deal with water damage remediation, homeowners in Nashville are advised to take preventive measures against water damage.
It’s essential to identify the potential causes of water damage. It could be any of the following:
Plumbing issues. Minor leaks should not be taken for granted as these could lead to a ruptured pipe if overlooked. An indoor supply pipe with a ⅛-inch crack can flood with hundreds of gallons of water in only a few hours.
Appliance wear and tear. Rubber water supply hoses connected to washing machines can suddenly rupture due to age and extent of use. Leaking dishwashers can severely rot the floor structure beneath it and trigger mold growth.
Roof damage. Rainfall and a leaky roof can lead to long-term water damage, which can ruin insulation and cause wood rot. The water can seep through the ceiling, creating an environment that supports mold growth.
Outdoor flooding. Heavy rains can cause water damage in the basement or crawl space. Groundwater infiltrating the basement floor can also lead to water damage.
Effectively prevent water damage with these tips:
- Repair leaking pipes as soon as possible.
- Inspect water-connected appliances regularly and ensure that these are properly maintained.
- Have a professional conduct annual roof inspections.
- The landscape surrounding your home should be graded to divert pooling water.
- Install a basement sump pump to remove rising groundwater.
- Disconnect hoses from the faucet during the fall season. Standing water in a hose can create an ice block that could damage your pipes.
- Clean gutters and downspouts at least twice a year.
- Remove large trees and shrubs near utility pipes as roots can wrap around these pipes and break them.
- Know where your water main shutoff is located, as this could help prevent a water damage emergency.
- Check your home’s water pressure. Pipes and hoses can break if the pressure is too high. Typically the water pressure in residential water systems is between 40 to 70 psi.In the event of water damage, work with water damage restoration specialists like Rytech Nashville. They are certified professionals with the expertise and resources to deal with all types of water damage. Here’s how it works:
- High-volume extractors are used to remove a large volume of water quickly.
- Powerful dehumidifiers and air movers reduce damaging indoor humidity and eliminate residual moisture rapidly.
- Utilizing moisture detection technology, water that has seeped deep into the structure can be located and removed.
- Water-damaged building materials like drywall, flooring, and specific wooden structural components may require removal and replacement if not dried quickly.
- Air sampling is used to track and identify potential mold contamination. All active mold growths are then removed, and affected surfaces are sterilized.
Nashville residents trust Rytech’s IICRC-certified technicians for their water damage restoration requirements. 24-hour emergency services are available. Get in touch today for a no-commitment consultation.
Rytech Nashville has become a leader in the water damage restoration and mold remediation industry. The company has reached exponential growth from its humble beginnings in one location and currently provides service to 49 major markets across 25 states. Call (615) 751-8445 for more information.